Metropolitan Area of Baia Mare city

Comprising the municipality of Baia Mare, the capital of Maramureș County, and the surrounding localities in the mining basin, located within a distance of up to 30 km from it.

Gutâi Mountains

Baia Sprie, Gutâi Pass, Mogoșa Resort, Șuior Resort, Cavnic, Neteda Pass

Mogoșa Lake

An artificial lake located at the foot of Mogoșa Peak, at an altitude of 730 meters, covering an area of 4 hectares and with a depth of 10 meters, near the town of Baia Sprie. Frequented by locals and tourists all year round, especially in summer for camping, hiking, and swimming.
It was created on the former Bodi Lake by the Baia Sprie mining enterprise in the 1960s to ensure the necessary water supply for the proper functioning of the mines in the area. The lake offers activities such as hydrobiking, boating, fishing, and swimming. The Mogoșa Domain hosts various events and outdoor activities throughout the year.

Map

Șuior Cota 1000

Located at the foot of the Gutâi Mountains, 18 km from Baia Mare, Șuior 1000 Altitude is defined as an oasis of peace and comfort for spending holidays and leisure time. The location, which the new owners have renamed “Cota 1000,” was actually called “La Căsuță” in the 1970s, due to a shelter belonging to the Mountain Rescue Service, which lasted until the construction of the Chairlift and Suior Resort. The area was very humid, streams gathered like in a basin, evidence of the small trout lake that still exists today. Access to Șuior 1000 Altitude can be done by chairlift starting from Șuior Base or by 4×4 vehicles.

Map

Mogoșa Peak

Mogoșa Peak, with an altitude of 1246 meters, offers a superb panorama of the two nearby cities and the resort of the same name, at the foot of which lies the artificial Bodi-Mogoșa Lake, built around 1960.
Mogoșa Resort is probably the most accessible and beloved location around Baia Mare and Baia Sprie. It is particularly popular in winter for the slopes at Suior and Mogoșa, especially for ski touring or hiking enthusiasts. Extreme sports enthusiasts can opt for a tandem paragliding flight.

Map

Rooster's Crest

One of the strangest geological formations in Maramureș County, formed as a result of volcanic activity millions of years ago, in the Gutâi Mountains. The sharp andesite rocks have heights ranging from 60 to 100 meters, and the formation is about 200 meters long. The name comes from the fact that, viewed from a certain angle, it resembles a rooster’s crest.
Trails: Rooster’s Crest can be relatively easily reached from Gutâi Pass (DN 18) or from the Suior Mine area. Another, more challenging option is from the village of Breb, for those who would like to also admire Morăreni Lake, a renowned wetland reserve famous for the green moss formed around the lake.

Map
Gutâiul Doamnei

Superb panoramas towards Gutâi Pass (Gutinul), Mogoșa Peak, Three Apostles, Drought Peak and Rooster’s Crest. In the image, below Gutâiul Mare Peak and Lady’s Peak stretches the Mlejnița Clearing.
Exceptional hiking trails for a pleasant hike of a few hours, also accessible for cycling:

– Pintea Viteazul Inn, (now Ţenea), from Gutâi Pass, Boului Clearing, Mlejnița Clearing, Rooster’s Crest;
– Suior Resort, Suior Mine (connection to Cavnic), Boului Clearing, Mlejnița Clearing, Rooster’s Crest;
– Breb Village, Morăreni Lake, Chendroaiei Lakes, Rooster’s Crest, Mlejnița Clearing.

Map
Vârful Gutâiul Mare

The Gutâi Mountains constitutes the first segment of the Carpathian volcanic range, developed almost entirely within Romania’s territory. It is crossed by the Baia Mare – Sighetu Marmației road, which passes over Gutâi Pass (Gutinul), at an altitude of 987 meters, and by the Cavnic – Ocna Șugatag – Sighetu Marmației road, over Neteda Pass (where you also encounter the “Locul cu șmen” section, after Budești, where the car, when left stationary, goes uphill instead of downhill).
The highest peak is Gutâiul Mare Peak, with an altitude of 1443 m (in the image). Other prominent peaks include Rooster’s Crest (1428 m), Gutâiul Doamnei (1394 m), Secătura (1392 m), Mogoșa (1246 m), and Arșița (1171 m).

Map

Baia Sprie city

 10 km from Baia Mare – Documented since 1329 (Mons Medius)

Baia Sprie

Baia Sprie has been documented since 1329, with the Latin name “Mons Medius,” translated as Middle Mountain, although the settlement has a significant historical past, being one of the most important mining centers in the area dating back to the Bronze Age. The city was officially documented relatively late in a diploma from 1329, during the reign of the Hungarian king Charles Robert of Anjou, who granted the inhabitants their first privileges. From this period, the city links its existence to mining, and over the centuries, it will appear in documents alongside Rivulus Dominarium, the present-day city of Baia Mare, as a royal free city.

See more tourist attractions
The Potter's House, Daniel Leș

Visit to the peasant house decorated with old objects. The host, Daniel Leș, will describe these objects and tell stories from our grandparents’ lives. Interactive demonstrative lesson about making clay vessels, starting from kneading the clay to obtaining the vessel. Children will see objects in various stages of processing. Demonstration of modeling a vessel on the potter’s wheel.
Group visit to the pottery workshop. The craftsman will talk about the traditional method of making and decorating ceramic vessels. Each child will receive a ceramic object (saucer, drinking cup). Those interested can purchase handmade products at workshop prices.
Address: Str. Luncii nr.1, Baia Sprie: www.casaolarului.ro

Map
The Blue Lake

It is unique in Europe due to a property it possesses, changing its color depending on the season, the position of the sun, or the water temperature. The artificial lake was formed in 1920, through the collapse of an old mine gallery, and currently covers an area of 0.5 hectares. In spring, the blue lake has a light and dark blue color, in summer, when it is warmer, it has a dark green color and sometimes with emerald reflections. In autumn, the color of the lake becomes dark green and sometimes brown. It is said that these changes are due to both the water temperature and the position of the sun.

Map
Dawn's Fissure
Map
Burebista's Head
Map
Stone Garden
Map
See more tourist attractions:

Cavnic

32 km from Baia Mare – Documented since 1336
Cavnic

In 1763, the first mining concession was issued, which opened up the development of mining operations. Here, complex ores containing gold, silver, lead, zinc, and copper were exploited and processed, the mine being the largest complex ore exploitation in Europe. Cavnic was declared a city on February 17, 1968. In the 1970s, it developed rapidly. Since the 2000s, ski slopes have been developed at “Icoana” and “Roata,” in an effort to develop the area’s tourism potential.
Attractions: The Tatars Pillar, 1717, on which the following Latin inscription is found: Anno 1717 usque hic fuerunt tartaris (In the year 1717, the Tatars reached here); The Roman-Catholic Church “Saint Barbara,” a monument from 1812, and the secular maple, 30 meters high, with a trunk diameter of 1.32 meters in the churchyard; “Logolda” – ruins of a 19th-century gold smelter; Born and Papp Museum; Ski slopes “Icoana” and “Roata.”

Map
The Miners' Monument

Miners represented a socio-professional category that contributed to the development of the local industry, entire settlements being shaped for centuries according to the miners’ way of life. Miners had their own forms of organization; they were creators of folklore with their own traditions unseen by other social categories. The work of a miner was hard and dangerous; the ore was extracted from the mine in baskets and carts, and the miners descended into the underground on wooden stairs with the help of a rope. Miners operated as a relatively closed caste in which life and death were shared; they had uniforms distinct from other socio-professional categories, their own unions, specific music, traditions, and customs, but also a rich collective imagination dominated by all sorts of strange apparitions that dominated and guided their entire existence, protective saints, and mine spirits.
Source: Mining and Civilization in Maramureș, Carol Kacso; The World of Baths, Dr. Robert C. Tokolyi

Map
The Tatars Pillar, 1717

In 1717, Cavnic was attacked by the Tatars from Crimea who were advancing towards Baia Mare city. At that time, the locals together with the inhabitants of the neighboring village – Șurdești, armed themselves, put on masks made of sheepskin on their faces, attached bells to their clothes, and when the Tatars arrived in Cavnic and saw the frightening masks and the deafening sound produced by the bells, they fled in terror – hence the winter tradition of the “brondoși”. In memory of this event, this stone monument, 7.2 meters high, was erected in 1736 with the inscription: ” Anno 1717, usque hic fuerunt tartari” (In the year 1717, the Tatars reached here).

Map
The Born and Papp Museum

The Born and Papp Museum in Cavnic holds a rich collection of scientific works, documents, photographs, and minerals belonging to the two world-renowned personalities of geology, natives of Cavnic: Born Ignác and Papp Simon.
Born Ignác (1742-1791) was a worldwide renowned metallurgical scientist, famous for his research on ores – the copper mineral Bornite bears his name. His method of extracting silver metal became known throughout Europe. As a miscellaneous fact, Mozart dedicated the cantata Die Mauerfreude to him, and he is also embodied in the character of Sarastro in The Magic Flute.
Papp Simon (1886-1970) was a renowned geologist, playing an important role in the development of oil extraction technology, accumulating experience in countries such as Albania, Asia Minor, New Guinea, Canada, the USA, and Germany.
Address: Str. Eliberării, Cavnic. Phone: 0262.295.086, 0262.295.115;

Map
Ruins of the Gold Smelter Logolda

It was the most modern non-ferrous ore preparation facility in the entire Gutâi Mountains mining basin, from the end of the 19th century. “Logolda,” the name derived from the English word “gold,” was built in 1862 by the English from the Rota Aurra Mines Limited company; here, for the first time in Transylvania, ores were processed by the cyanidation method to obtain gold. The smelter was designed to process 400 tons of ore per day, producing 80 kg of gold monthly. However, the results were below expectations, so production ceased in the first decade of the 20th century.

Map
The Horse's Foot Waterfall

Located in the area of the Logolda gold mine and smelter, along a stream in the Spring Valley, The Horse’s Foot (Piciorul Calului) Waterfall springs from a former mining gallery, boasting an impressive cascade of approximately 25 meters in height.

Map
Ski Slopes at Cavnic

Since the 2000s, the Cavnic ski slopes have been developed at “Icoana” and “Roata,” as part of an effort to develop the area’s tourist potential.

Map
Three Apostles

Vertical andesitic megaliths, located approximately 100 meters apart, also known as Vârful Gutâiul Mic (1395 m). Trails:
Red stripe marking: Cavnic – Pasul Neteda – Three Apostles (or Vârful Gutâiul Mic) – Vârful Gutâi – Gutaiul Doamnei – Creastă Cocoșului. Difficulty level: medium to hard.
Yellow stripe marking: a recently homologated hiking trail that facilitates access from the Cavnic ski area to the BR ridge trail (below the Three Apostles area). Difficulty level: easy ascent on a ridge with a cleared strip.

Map
Neteda Pass

Located at an altitude of 1072 meters, Neteda Pass (or Strâmbului Pass) separates the Gutâi Mountains (to the west) from the Lăpuș Mountains (to the east), between the villages of Budești (to the north) and Cavnic (to the south). Points of interest in the area: Gutâi Mountains peaks: Gutâiul Doamnei; Rooster’s Crest; Three Apostles. The “antigravity” slope from Cavnic to Budești – an optical illusion associated with the fact that objects seem to move antigravity, towards Budești, although they actually descend the real slope.

Map

Igniș Mountains

Chiuzbaia (7 km), Firiza (15 km), Blidari (18 km)
Breban Museum

In Chiuzbaia, known especially for its traditional forges, there is a Village Museum, as well as a Mining Museum, curated by Romică Breban, a former municipal policeman, now retired. Romică has collected all sorts of traditional objects, including bellows, anvils, scythes, lamps, pots, wooden tubs, weaving looms, as well as mine flowers, carbide lamps, and various old mining tools. He also has a collection of tree roots with peculiar shapes, rocks with impressive fossils, and even a few meteorites! – Facebook
Address: Chiuzbaia, 12 km from Baia Mare. Hours: Monday – Sunday: 10 am – 6 pm

Map
Chiuzbaia Monastery

Located on the border of the village of Chiuzbaia, 10 km from the town of Baia Sprie, the “Nativity of the Mother of God” Monastery was founded in 1995 when the cornerstone was laid. A small brick church was built in the shape of a Greek cross and was consecrated on 13.09.1998. In 2002, a monastic house was built, in 2005 a trapeza was built for feast days, and between 2008-2009, another four cells and a summer altar were built. The monastery has a library with approximately 2,000 books, a wonderful terraced garden, and a museum with traditional items specific to the area. The monastery has been led since 1999 by Protosyngel Varlaam Coroian.
Contact: Chiuzbaia, no. 139/A, tel: 0721 782 543 – Website | Facebook

Map

Fossil Forest

Covering an area of 50 hectares and situated at an altitude of 800 meters, the fossil reserve is located in the northern part of the village of Chiuzbaia, at the foot of Igniș Mountain (1307 m). The protected area presents a special scientific interest due to the fossil remains of flora – mosses, tree leaves, ferns, and fauna – skeletons of fish and fossilized insects, deposited in rock layers, formed by impressions, the vast majority, and a small part by compressions. The renowned area with fossil plants is a unique deposit in Europe – Răzvan Givulescu (university professor at the Pedagogical Institute of Baia Mare in the period 1969-1982, geologist, paleobotanist, honorary member of the Romanian Academy – 1993). The “Răzvan Givulescu” Fossil Forest at Chiuzbaia bears his name. A rich collection of fossil remains discovered at the Breban Museum in Chiuzbaia.

Map
Falcon's Crest

13 Km from Baia Mare city, through the Ferneziu district.
Belvedere to the Firiza Lake

Map
Firiza Lake

The Berdu Dam at Firiza was built in 1964 to supply water to the municipality and to mitigate floods. The Firiza reservoir, behind the dam, is 13 km long and 1 km wide and is populated with trout and carp. The landscape is exceptional, with coniferous and deciduous forests reaching the lake, while surrounding hills frame the horizon. Located very close to the city of Baia Mare and near the road to the Izvoare resort, the lake has become very popular among hikers and the population of Baia Mare, eager for an oasis of peace and fresh air.

Map
Vâlcele Valley Waterfall

Small waterfall at 15 km from Baia Mare city, near Firiza Lake.

Map
Izvoare Resort

It is a climatic and ski resort, located at an altitude of 926 meters on a volcanic plateau, under the peak of Igniș, in the southwestern part of the Gutâi Mountains. The Izvoare Resort has a tonic, stimulating climate, rich in ultraviolet radiation and with a pronounced atmospheric ionization, with excellent conditions for rest and recovery.
Trails: Runcu – Pleșca and Tătarului Gorges, the only gorge in the country formed in andesite rock (3-4 hours); Dumitru’s Swamp and Igniș Peak (1-2 hours), with impressive anthropomorphic rocks.

Map
Igniș Peak

Igniș Peak is a peak with an altitude of 1307 m in the Gutâi Mountains, Maramureș County. It can be accessed from the north: from the Izvoare resort, located 30 kilometers from Baia Mare at an altitude of approximately 900 m. From there, the forest road, with a gentle slope, an easy route, takes about 1-1:30 hours. South: from the village of Chiuzbaia, from a place called Groapele Chiuzbăii. The trail is marked with dotted blue, of medium difficulty, with a duration of approximately 1:30-2 hours, accessible only on foot. The megalithic rocks that have received various names (Spiridon’s Church, Lespezi, Pintea’s Tower, Devil’s Stone) over the years are a true natural wonder. Paragliding activity is present whenever the weather allows, with a certified instructor for tandem flights.

Map
Tandem Paragliding
Map
Bulzului Stone

23 km from Baia Mare – Blidari, Igniș Mountains

The trail to Bulzului Stone is difficult, with a continuous ascent and a large difference in elevation compared to the distance covered. But the landscape compensates for the hard climb. (Gmaps local guide, info & photo © Gruiță Cristian, 2022)

Map
Stur Waterfall, Blidari

25 km from Baia Mare – Blidari, Igniș Mountains

Stur Waterfall, Blidari, has a waterfall of approximately 8 m. Access is from the village of Blidari, via a forest road along the Firiza Valley, towards Poiana lui Dumitrui. The landscapes are dreamy, both in winter and summer. Above the waterfall, there is a small dam.

Map
Dumitru's Glade

29 km from Baia Mare city – Blidari, Igniș Mountains

Map

Tăuții Măgherăuș

Băița, Ulmoasa, Nistru, Bușag
Maramureș International Airport

Tăuții-Măgherăuș district
7 km from Baia Mare city

Map
Bozânta's settling pond

Bozânta
7 km from Baia Mare city

Map
Confluence of the Săsar River with the Lăpuș River

Bozânta
7 km from Baia Mare city

Map
Village Museum, Tăuții-Măgherăuș

Tăuții-Măgherăuș
9 km from Baia Mare city

Map
Ion Șiugariu Memorial House

Ion Șiugariu – the martyr poet of Maramureș, was born on June 6, 1914, in Băița, Maramureș. He studied at the Faculty of Letters and Philosophy of the University of Bucharest and published poems and literary reviews starting in 1934. He led the Association of Refugee Students from Transylvania during the Horthyite occupation of Transylvania from 1941. In 1943, he was mobilized to a military unit in Moldova. He participated as an officer in the 27th Infantry Regiment in the fighting against German troops in the areas of Otopeni, Băneasa, and Tunari, which took place in the days following the coup of August 23, 1944. On February 1, 1945, while leading a convoy of ammunition to the front line near the town of Brezno (Ch), he was severely injured by an explosion. He died on the way to the ambulance and was buried alongside an officer and seven soldiers killed with him in the cemetery of the village of Pohronská, near Brezno.
Born in the village of Băița, the poet-martyr’s childhood home was donated by his mother to the authorities in 1969, belonging to the administrative territory of Tăuții Măgherăuș.

Map
Centre de Echitație

Near Baia Mare city, at Săsar and Băița village

MapMap
Ulmoasa Ecodomes

Ulmu Base is an innovative permaculture center founded by brothers Lucian and Andrei Lupșe, located at the foot of Ulmu Peak. The eco-domes are built only with natural materials (earth, wood, stone, reed, etc.), a cellar covered with earth, and a garden with 100% organic products. The Ulmu Base attracts Romanians and foreigners alike like a magnet. Read more on the official Facebook page

Map

Nistru Lake

Just 15 km from Baia Mare, amidst a forest, lies Nistru Lake. The Mining Exploitation in the locality erected a 2-meter dam on the Nistru stream in 1956, creating a 0.5 ha lake. In 1965, a 5-meter dam was built, increasing the lake’s surface to 1.2 ha. Today, the lake is managed by the Tăuții Măgheruș town hall and is intended for fishermen and individuals seeking relaxation, swimming, and fresh air.

Map
Peninsula, Buşag

The Peninsula Buşag recreational park was built around a giant natural pool of 18,000 square meters, with a water depth between 1 and 1.5 meters. It is located 10 km from Baia Mare, after Tăuții-Măgherăuș, on the DE58.

Map

Seini

26 km from Baia Mare city – Documented as a fortress in 1334 (Castrum Synir)
Seini
Map
Seini Cultural House
Map
The Cross on Sun Hill

The Cross on Sun Hill in Seini, standing at 20 meters in height, was erected in 1998 at the initiative of some believers who worked in the stone quarry in Seini.

Map

Papolczy-Bay Manor

Historical building
Str. Cetăţii nr. 34, Seini

Bay House in Seini or the Papolczy-Bay Manor, a late 19th-century building, a historical monument, restored and transformed into a cultural center in 2022. Here grew up Bela Bay, multiple European and Olympic fencing champion in Hungary.

Map
Kávássy Manor

Historical building
Str. Mihai Eminescu nr. 34, Seini

The building is a boyar mansion built in 1848, which through rearrangement has been endowed with elegance and refinement, featuring a guesthouse with 21 rooms, a luxury restaurant for events, a wine cellar, a summer garden, and a spa center with an outdoor pool.

Map

Synagogue in Seini

Historical building
Str. Cuza Vodă, nr. 25, Seini

SThe synagogue in Seini, a historical building from 1904 in ruins, on the local administration’s list to be transformed in the near future into a Museum of Jews in Transylvania.

Map
Ruins of the Medieval Fortress

Located on Fortress (Cetățeaua) Hill, Seini, the locality is first documented in 1490. In 1677, it was invaded and destroyed by the Tatars, but the settlement survived as an opidum (market town) under names like Castrum Zynyr or Seinen. The fortress ruins can still be seen today.

Map
Comja Pine Forest

A nationally protected area, located in the counties of Maramureș and Satu Mare, within the administrative territory of the Racșa commune.
In 1939, on the 50th anniversary of Mihai Eminescu’s death, Romanian army soldiers planted pine, spruce, and fir saplings in the shape of the great Romanian poet’s name, Eminescu.

Map
Stone Rosette

It is a protected area of geological, paleontological, and landscape interest, located 21 km from Baia Mare, near the village of Ilba, on the national road DN1C. The quarry represents a formation of columns, up to 5 m in length and about 0.50 m in thickness, polygonal andesitic, arranged around a central area, forming a rosette. The Ilba Stone Rosette is also a point of paleontological interest due to the discovery of fossil remains of fauna such as shells (Congeria neumayri), ostracods (Candona labiata), or snails (Planorbis planorbis) attributed to the late Miocene and early Pliocene periods.

Map

Near the Metropolitan Area

Tourist attractions in Satu Mare County
Apa Recreational Lake
E58 or DJ19F, Apa Village, Satu Mare County – 35 km from Baia Mare city

Located on the border between Satu Mare and Maramureș counties, in the Apa village, the recreational lake is one of the most popular attractions for locals. It covers an area of 96 hectares, being an artificial lake formed as a result of mineral aggregate extraction, with a maximum depth of 30 m. On the northern side of the lake, there are private vacation homes, while on the southern side stretches the Apa Complex, with the lake bordered by a 1 km long beach offering water sports activities.

Map
Dr. Vasile Lucaciu Memorial House

Nicknamed the “Lion of Şişeşti” due to his fight for the rights of Romanians in Transylvania, Father Vasile Lucaciu was declared a Hero of the Romanian Nation on 8.03.2022. At this memorial house, there is an original copy of the Memorandum, to which he contributed in drafting, for which he was sentenced to 5 years in prison, along with other signatories of the document. The memorial house where Vasile Lucaciu was born, on January 22, 1852, in Apa village, is low, built of wooden logs placed on a thick oak foundation, with a thatched roof in two slopes. It has three rooms, the interior of the first room being arranged in a rustic style. In the last room, books, photographs, documents specific to the period in which the great politician Vasile Lucaciu lived and worked are displayed. The memorial house is under the guardianship of the Satu Mare County Museum.

Map
Reformed Church, 1640

The Reformed Church from Apa village is surrounded by a 2 m high defensive wall. It was built during the 15th century, at the initiative of Susana Bathory, the widow of the Croatian ban, Mauritius, along with other churches in this area built in the Gothic style. According to the inscription on the wall, in Latin, it was built in the year 1640.

Map
Lónyai Castle, Medieșu Aurit

In the center of the village of Medieșu Aurit, Satu Mare County, stands the ruin of a Renaissance castle, which was built by Sigismund Lonyai between 1620-1657. On the pediment at the entrance, there is a carved text in Latin, which would translate: “Built from the ground up in the year of the Lord 1630 by Sigismund de Lonya, count of the Crasna county”. In the 20th century, the castle became the property of Queen Maria of Romania. The castle has a tumultuous history, which begins in the 13th century, when the first mentions of a fortress in these places appear. In 1493, the citadel in question was conquered by the powerful Bathory family (which provided a large number of governors of Transylvania), to be inherited later by Sigismund Lonyai, where he will build the castle, which will have both a defensive role and a luxurious residence required by the status of the noble family. (source: Cesăvezi.ro)

Map
Dacian Ovens at Medieșu Aurit - Șuculeu
6 km de Medieșu Aurit

Throughout the 1st-4th centuries AD, a settlement with the character of a ceramic production center was formed here, specialized in the production of large-sized supply vessels. Archaeological discoveries indicate a Dacian ethnic presence, with Germanic remains being only sporadic. Using modern investigation methods, over 200 such ovens have been identified, the archaeological site of Medieșu Aurit-Șuculeu thus representing the largest ceramic production center in the European space located outside the former Roman Empire. – Source

Map
The Sphinx of Oaș Mountains
Map